Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Teakwood - Blogger's Quilt Festival


When I saw this quilt on a Moda bake shop post I just had to make one.






While I was piecing this quilt, I thought about the street I grew up on.  There was the house down on the corner where we waited for the bus . . . that lady didn't like us in her yard, but she did have the neighborhood's mailbox on the edge of her property.

The house with the steep drive-way was cool, we roller skated down it regularly.   On another corner, a boy came out of his house each morning with a hot pop-tart on a napkin.  It smelled so good.  We didn't have that sugar stuff at our house, so I didn't taste one until many years later.

We labeled one house "the scary one".  They had some creative stuff going on for Halloween and the image stayed all year.

Each house on the block had a different story.  So, I had to quilt each house a little different then the one next to it.













There were empty lots here and there.  And I knew each back yard fence like the back of my hand, I'm sure the neighbors really appreciated us going over them all the time.  That would never fly these days.  Those were different times.





I remember the year our street was re-paved.  You could have put a "Roller Skating Rink" sign out.  That summer, we skated way past dark each night.   We invented all sorts of games, like the one that if a car's lights of the on-coming car touched out, you were out.  There were many roller skates under the Christmas trees on our block that year.



I had this brilliant idea while laying in bed one night, to quilt our street addresses in the borders.  Each side has a different street name and number.  It's great fun and I think it will mean a lot to which ever child this quilt gets passed down to.


I found the only way to make the letters and numbers look like I wanted was to fish back in A LOT of strings.















I love the fact that besides the back ground, this quilt has 2 colors.  With just red and black, so many stories are told.




This Olivia fabric was in my "give away" pile,  and got pulled when I realized it was the perfect backing fabric.  The second 1/2 of the back is flannel, a nice touch when it's cold.




Thank you, Amy, for sharing your talents with us.

all linked up:








6 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful quilt, and I enjoyed your remembrances of your neighborhood. Quilting each house differently and putting the address on is such a great idea. It's such a personalized quilt and also very pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! Fab idea to quilt each differently and adding house numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great quilt! I love the detail in the quilting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a charmer! Love the detail you added with your quilting. Such a clever idea for personalizing the neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. You have put so much work into it, especially with the quilting. Love reading the story about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love that pattern too and want to make one...love how cute you quilted it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.