Monday, August 8, 2011

Vintage Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine


I took a class last spring, and was interested to see the sewing machines that everyone was using.  I was especially intrigued with this one.  After inquiring about it and a little research, I learned that it's a vintage "Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine" made in the mid 1940's.  They are great for classes because they're so light.  They have a reputation for sewing a strong, straight stitch.   Several of the ladies had them at home, and use them for piecing including Carrie (of Miss Rosie's Quilt's), the instructor of the class I was taking.

This one has a price of $450 on it (ebay).  It's one of the best I've seen.  Look how clean that manual looks.

 You can find one on eBay for about $200, or spend more to get one that is in better shape.  The price depends on the shape it's in, and how many parts are still with it.  It even comes with a nifty carrying case.  It's facinating to read the stories behind these machines.  They're easy to work on, so if you purchase one that isn't working well, they can easily be repaired (so I'm told).
It's a nice "quilter's" machine, not too complicated, just does the basic straight stitch.  So, if you're looking for a "back up" machine, check the reviews on the Singer Featherweight.  I've sure had fun researching it.  It's definitely on my "purchase some day list".
They come with a nifty carrying case.   I'd love to own one . . .

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I have one similar. I got mine from my grandmother. It's in a wooden case, but it needs a new belt. I found your blog looking through endless pictures of scrappy log cabin quilts..and I fell in love with yours. It's going to be my next project. I have tons of 1930s reproduction fat quarters and thought it would be perfect. OH-I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.